Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Response to article

I want to address the first point in the article:

"Why must information be presented in s dull, dreary fashion, such as a table of numbers?... So Why not display the information in a colorful manner, continually available in the periphery of attention, but in a way that delights rather than distracts?"

As an artist, I do agree that a lot of data and media outside of my major would be more appealing and interesting if it were shown to me in a colorful, attractive way... Because this is what I know. My notes for biology are often decorated with doodles and sketches. But I do not think that all information should be presented in that way. The article argues that by making information more attractive, that people would be able to absorb more from it. But what kind of people are they talking about? Artists. What about the rest of the population? The non-artists. I know a lot of people that have no understanding in the point of art and get nothing from it. I also know there are people out there that get really really distracted by bright colors and cannot take in information unless it is all in black and white. Of course we all wish, as artists, that art and design could be a part of EVERYTHING we do, but me must consider the rest of the people we share a world with. Black and White is universal. I'm not saying that this shouldn't happen at all, it would make things more fun... just not to number charts and scientific data. Thats not our territory haha

emily d.

No comments:

Post a Comment